Inspired by a series of annual trips to India, Sri Lanka, Cambodia and Vietnam, Artist#1 makes a comparison between the process of painting and the way we travel through an environment. Where the narrative of this is somewhat controlled by a sequence of wrong turns, unexpected discoveries, anticipated horizons and fleeting glimpses.
Her aim is to encapsulate the freshness and vigour of these experiences through a figuratively simplified yet sensory abstract complexity. Titled in reference to places of interest the paintings allure to the emotional charge of fresh experiences, and their virtual re-enactment within the process of painting. More recently she has been using found objects that often reflect her botanical interests. Playing with the presentation of repetition, pattern, structure and colour to generate abstract forms;
Constellations that are scattered across imagined space but are at the same time contained within a microcosm of detail.
- 2015, ‘Autocatalytic Future Games’, 'No Format' Gallery, London, UK
- 2014, ‘New Horizons’, Porthminster Gallery, St.Ives, Cornwall, UK
- 2009, ‘Tiger Attack’, Edgar Modern, Bath,
- 2009, ‘Summer Show’, View Art Gallery, Bristol, UK
- 2009, ‘The Winter Show’, The Glasshouse Gallery, Penzance, UK
- 2008, ‘Graduate Scholar Exhibition’, Alexandra Palace, London, UK
- 2008, ‘Continuum’, Oriel Canfas, Cardiff
- 2007, ‘Contemporary Exhibition’, The Millennium Centre, Cardiff,